Read me!

If you wish to work in the United States during your summer vacation, you must obtain a J-1 visa, category «Summer Work and Travel».

In order to obtain this visa, you must imperatively go through a sponsor organization. In some instances, your employer can act as your sponsor and provide you with the eligibility form called «DS-2019». Always check with your employer first.

To give you access to J-1 visas, Parenthese has set up a partnership with CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange), appointed official sponsor by the US Department of State. Together, Parenthese and CIEE allow you to legally work in the U.S. for up to four months during your summer vacation.

The official documents that are delivered to you – eligibility certificate DS-2019 and SEVIS fees receipt – will allow you to apply for the J-1 visa at the American Consulate in your country of residence or your country of origin.

Like any other international project, your work experience in the US has to be prepared in advance, but the administrative process for the «WAT USA» program is rather short: 3 weeks (2 to 3 weeks to obtain the DS-2019 plus 48 hours for embassy processing times).