Certain types of organizations are not permitted to host. These include:
- Certain limited service/economy hotel properties (below 3-diamond rating)
- Most home offices
- Fast food franchises
- Direct sales or direct marketing companies
- Companies working remotely
Additionally, CIEE cannot sponsor Trainees in the following occupations:
- Positions involving direct contact with minors such as au pair or babysitting
- Maids or any other domestic work such as housekeeping
- Medical interns or interns involved in hands-on therapy, counseling, administering treatment or making diagnoses of medical, psychiatric or psychological conditions
- Pharmacy positions directly related to dispensing medication to patients
- Veterinary interns involved in hands-on care of animals
- Teachers or educational instructors
- Temporary or staffing agency employees
- Pilots or crew members on ships or airplanes
Some observation training programs in the sectors listed above can be accepted. Please consult us.
Please note that research scholars require a J-1 visa, category Research Scholar. However, certain research training programs can be accepted within the Trainee category, namely if they entail teamwork, constant supervision and a true element of training.
Humanitarian missions or internships at NGO’s such as the United Nations can, under certain circumstances, be undertaken with a tourism visa or ESTA. Contact us or your employer for further information.
For a detailed list of acceptable occupations please consult CIEE’s industry-specific guidelines.
The above list is not exhaustive. We will only be able to confirm your employer’s eligibility once the training plan has been completed.